Swindon City of Sanctuary Show Your Heart Month of Welcome
(In Partnership with Create Studios)
This November, join us during Swindon City of Sanctuary’s Show Your Heart Month of Welcome, all of us across the town can join together to show how welcoming, kind and inclusive we are in Swindon.
How can we do this?
Just by making one or two simple acts of kindness:
- share messages of welcome and support, on orange hearts, to all people who come to live in our town, especially people who have fled from danger and are seeking safety here with us (you can create your own hearts or download the one below)
- send a portrait photo / ‘selfie’ (in original format and without filters)*, with your messages of welcome and support on orange hearts via WeTransfer (https://wetransfer.com) to [email protected]
- Are you a school who would like to be involved? Click this link for resources specifically created for Swindon schools – Schools – Show Your Heart
- Are you a local business/organisation wishing to get involved? Click this link to join us on the 25th November – Invitation local businesses/orgs to Show Your Heart
All images need to be sent to us by Thursday 25th November
* by sending us your photo, you consent that any person shown in the image has given explicit consent for their image to be shared with us. You also consent to the image being shared and reproduced for public display eg. displayed online, shared on social media platforms, shared with local and national media, and presented on public display
Large Heart Display
Images gathered will be brought together by Create Studios alongside images sent by local businesses and Swindon schools to display on a large billboard in the shape of a giant heart with a simple message of welcome to all eg. – ‘The People of Swindon Welcome you /everyone’
Are you a local Swindon Organisation?
If you are get in touch to be part of our Show your Heart Day of Welcome on November the 25th, we would love to invite you to join the many other local businesses in our town to have your photo taken with your hearts by Create Studios.
Please email: [email protected] for more information.
Why an orange heart?
The orange heart represents compassion for people fleeing war, persecution or violence. Inspired by the Refugee Nation flag, and the colours of a lifebelt, the heart symbolises hope and kindness. It is a symbol of the Together with Refugees campaign.
Our Swindon messages of welcome on orange hearts will show:
- we support people who are forced to flee their homes
- we want people to be able to seek safety in our country, no matter how they have arrived here
- we want people to live in dignity and safety here while they wait for the decision granting them protection and giving them Leave to Remain in our country
- we welcome people into our communities and show them that they belong here so they can re-build their lives in safety and become involved in their new communities
If any one of us feared for our lives or the lives of our loved ones, we’d want to know that others would help us to safety, wouldn’t we? This is our chance to show our messages of welcome and support for everyone – no matter what we look like or where we come from.